Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What is he doing? He is baking a cake.

Yesterday I spent all day making a lesson plan to teach the Present Continuous. Thank Jebus for cartoon grammar. It made it so much easier to have something lighten what might otherwise be a pretty dull grammar lesson. I also forgot that for these kids, coyotes roadrunners, and deserts are really exotic, so I think they really enjoyed the cartoon.

Unlike my stints as a project manager, composer, or writer, I can't miss deadlines here, or I have 5 classes of 36 adolescents to answer to. Already this experience is changing me for the better. I still get a kick out of how the girl students react to me. I think it's some kind of mass hysteria thing they have going on. No one on the street looks at me twice, but today a female student shrieked when I walked past her in the hallway. In year they probably won't even remember my fact.

So my latest Korean obsession is these graphic novel series called 식색 (Shik-saek), a word for a person who loves good food and often leaches off of others to get it.

Not surprisingly, the same language which brought you maladies like "gout" has a word for such a bon vivant: a trencherman.

Anyways, the series looks great. Each books narrates the events surrounding a cynical Korean cook, the unifying metaphor being a particular dish.

I don't really know. I can't speakee the Korean so well yet.

I think tomorrow night I'm going to drag myself out to a club.

Speaking of botany:
http://www.myscienceproject.org/viagra-flowers.html

木 tree, wooden (see, it looks like a tree)

Korean: 나무 namu (korean word for tree)
Sino-Korean: 목 mok
Wood is the element representing Thursday, or 목요일 (mok-yo-il).

No comments: