Me with three seniors from my high school that I happened to meet on the bus on the way back home. I don't teach seniors so they had no idea I taught at their school until I told them.
Seong-Suk with one of the enormous spiders that lives in Hanam. That thing is way above her and look how big it is. It's definitely, like, the third biggest spider I've ever seen.
Me with 사물노리 (sa-mul lo-ri) Club last Saturday along with Seong-Suk. These kids have graciously donated their lunches and Saturday mornings to teaching me this awesome traditional Korean music. Too bad I never seem to remember the rhythms. I'll get there.
I listen almost obsessively to Latin American music while I'm at home: Molotov, Arbol, Charly Garcia, Fito Paez, and host of others. I'm really afraid of losing my Spanish skills and just as I felt compelled to be more American in Uruguay- to set me apart from all the other European-looking people that spoke better Spanish than I did- I feel compelled to be more Hispanic here - although brown isn't half as popular a color as white in this country.
I have learned that my school offers not only lunch, but dinner as well (!) effectively eliminating the need for me to cook for myself five days a week. All the teachers are so impressed that I eat Korean food. There surprise at a rather un remarkable feat for me makes a great conversation starter. Today I purposely sat with non-English teachers. That's right. I had a half an hour long conversation in baby Korean with two people, at the same time!
Sample conversation:
Teacher A (unintelligibly in Korean): 은달도냐덜맺두아댳탣니다미제불이해요?
Me (in Korean): Yes, delicious! I am 23 years old.
Teacher B (in Korean): hahahahahhahaha!
What wit.
My students are undergoing heavy midterm testing next week,which means that in my class they are especially lethargic and apathetic. This week I'm doing criminal vocabulary words: arson, shoplifting, murder, all the interesting stuff. The kids' favorite slide was of the Korean serial-killer 유 영철 (Yoo Young-Chul)). We were doing past tense as well:
He stabbed old men and prostitutes.
He ate their livers.
He burned their bodies.
My birthday is fast approaching. I had almost forgotten. I *ahem* casually brought it up to some co-workers who asked me if I would rather see a movie, go out drinking, or eat.
I asked if we could do 2 of 3.... since it's my birthday after all ^o^
No comments:
Post a Comment