So I have a place to live. I decided to go outside of the the SAIS housing program and take up lodging in large, six room apartment five minutes from school and right in the middle of downtown.
It's still under construction - everyday a very nice Romanian family comes in and cleans, installs pipes, puts wiring through the walls - and we're receiving a nice discount, but it will be monumental once we're finished. Actually one of my new flatmates speaks excellent Romanian and the other one speaks Italian, so between them I feel really well taken care of.
There are thousands of Romanians in this city. They were having a big party in the park the other day, some fiddling -like 'turkey in the straw' after a few espressos - and singing with some dancing that looked like something out of Zorba the Greek. Already I'm learning so much about Europe that I hadn't known before. I feel incredibly ignorant and it's a great feeling. I'm an empty vessel waiting to be filled with food, wine, architecture, music and anything else that has little to do with intermediate micro and macro economics - more on that later.
나는 이탈리아에 오기 직전까지 음식이 많이 걱정됐어. 나는 한국에 있는동안 편식 전혀 안 하고 식사할때 마다 한식을 배 터지게 먹었어. 그런데 미국에는 이탈리아 음식이란 치즈와 크림 밀가루 등 내가 별로 안 좋아하는 재료를 소홀이 합쳐서 만든 음식이야.
그렇 지만 왔더니 신선한 야체가 많고 소스가 느끼하며 여러 가지 스파이스가 조화 돼서 내 입속에 예술같은 맛을 내
원래 한국에서 키우던 술배를 빼려고 했는데 이제..... 작심삼일이려나보다 ^^;;;;;;;;;;
La cosa que de verdad me sorpende de esta ciudad es la diversidad cultural. No es que haya una convivencia feliz. Una chica de nuestra grupo recibio este consejo de un taxista,
- No vayas a esa piazza si se hace tarde..... Hay muchos negros.
lo cual me parece risible, porque ni los negros, ni los bangladeshis, ni los pakistanis, ni los pocos chinos que veo ambulando por las calles me dan miedo. Son los italianos mismos- especialmente los drogadictos que se estiran en la piazza con una caja de vino a veces gritando en un tono que no se si estan peleando o cantando- que me hacen nervioso. La verdad que menos que yo pensaba no es una ciudad peligrosa. Un amigo italiano me estaba contando de la manera en que Berlusconi exploto al miedo popular de imigrantes, terrorismo, etc. para acender al poder.
Aqui hay grafiti, hay drogas, hay chicas que no afeitan los sobacos, pero peligro - gracias a dios - hay poco.
No comments:
Post a Comment